Pages

Monday, November 18, 2013

Cupcake Love Hat

I'm so excited about this "Cupcake Love" hat I just finished today! The hat itself is a simple hand-knit garment, using the Basic Knitted Hat pattern from xoxo Blythe. (I topped it with a little stem instead of the pompom called for in the instructions because I think it is cuter that way!) The thing that makes this, and all my Blythe hats unique, is the one-of-a-kind felt applique I made to embellish it. I started doing these for a swap on Craftster last year--we called them felt badges--and I discovered then how fun it is to create with wool felt. I start by sketching a design on paper, then I cut out the main shapes of the sketch and use those as templates for cutting the felt. I sew the pieces together using regular sewing thread and embroidery floss. The back is completely finished, so the applique could actually be used as a brooch if it was taken off the hat.

This is Grace (wearing Candy's dress for some reason) modeling the new hat. She looks a little cold in that snowy landscape--I think she needs a sweater!




1 comment:

  1. Ahhh lovely hat, the cupcake is so cute ^^ But I think she needs a sweater too, poor girl ;)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete