Pages

Saturday, May 2, 2020

The Sleeping Gypsy


There is a contest on Facebook, in the doll group called Blythe Info Uncensored, to recreate a famous painting using Blythe dolls. I've been wanting to do such a photo since I heard about it more than a week ago, but I had trouble finding just the right painting to inspire me, so I waited for inspiration to strike. I finally opened a book we have on our bookshelf, "1001 Paintings to See Before you Die," and that's where I came across "The Sleeping Gypsy" by Henri Rousseau. I love the graphic nature of the painting, and the startling image of the lion behind the sleeper. As soon as I saw this I knew I wanted to use it for my recreation, because I have just the perfect lion on hand! So here it is. The Blythe doll is Cherry Beach Sunset. I closed her eyes by pulling her string tight and then wrapping it around her arm (which is hidden in the fabric of her garment). The sky, mountain range, and ground, as well as her garment and the pillow behind her head, are all pieces of fabric.

This was such a fun challenge, and I am extremely impressed by the photos that have been submitted to the contest. You can find them on Facebook by searching for #blythemuseumchallenge .






No comments:

Post a Comment